Friday, June 09, 2006

Wow! Whatta week!

I made it through my first week at the new job, and my brain is still spinning. I thought I was reasonably computer literate. Yeah, right! The guys I work with make me feel like I was using an abacus.

I spent the first two days just learning how to navigate the computer system. Everything, and I mean everything, is done on your desktop. Hell, you even answer the phone through your computer (I'd read about VOIP....I'd never used it). I finally started feeling a tiny bit productive on Wednesday, and then on Thursday, I got to dive headlong into customer relations, trying to save a major bid that is teetering on the verge of going to a competitor. Plus planning for a couple of upcoming trade shows, working on branding a new service offering, and making arrangements with a local weekly paper for my boss to write a tech column. And all the while, trying to learn all the new acronyms. VAR, SAP, NAS, MSP (I won't bore you with the translations) not to mention such things as application virtualization ( I think I know what that one is, but I'm not entirely sure) . It quickly became apparent that most people in the office use all those terms, so if I wanted to have a clue about what anyone was talking about, I had to take a crash course.

I'm EXHAUSTED! And I haven't enjoyed work this much in years!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ken Dillon said...

Congratulations! You deserve it.

It's always nice when the exhaustion from work is a GOOD exhustion.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

Congrats, Bill. Glad to get caught up and find out what's going on in your world. It's been so crazy this spring that I haven't had time to keep up-to-date like I wanted.

Man, that 5 weeks off sounds sweeeeet!!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home