Saturday, June 03, 2006

Gainfully employed!

After five weeks of glorious (and beginning to get boring) inactivity, I start my new job on Monday. I'm an account manager for a local tech service company. Of all the jobs I applied for, this is the one I really wanted!

I'm working for a guy I've known for years, doing something I think I'm gonna really enjoy. The hours are great (8 to 5 and NO on call work). The pay is good, the benefits are good, and most importantly, the morale of the place seems to be fantastic. I'll be the oldest person there, by far, but to me, that's not a bad thing. The propeller heads are all in their twenties, and the management types in their late thirties or early forties.

It's a little scary to be starting a new job. I haven't done that in a LONG time. But its also exciting and I think it will be a good (and long term) opportunity to not only use all the varied skills I've picked up over the years, but to learn new ones on a daily basis. I'm already learning about hardware and capabilities that I didn't even know existed. And I think what excites me the most is that, if I had known what this company does and how well they do it, I would have contracted with them at the radio station several years ago. My god, how that would have taken an immense load off my shoulders back then! But I didn't know what they did. And the important thing is -- NOBODY ELSE DOES EITHER! What a marketing opportunity!!??!!

In any event, the past five weeks have been good for me. I am more rested and relaxed than I have been in literally decades. I've had time to reflect on what I want out of the rest of my life, and to get the groundwork in place for some other things I really want to do (like finish that elusive degree....time off for classes does NOT seem like it will be a major stumbling block. This place WANTS its people to get training and education on a continuing basis). Self-examination is not always a pleasant experience, but ultimately, it is an important aspect of growth. And it's nice that something besides my waistline may be growing!

Soooo, Monday morning, its up and back into the world of the gainfully employed. Here's hoping it turns out to be everything I expect and hope -- and more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home