Saturday, June 03, 2006

Doing the right thing.

I always had a complex relationship with my late father. Well, not really complex, I guess. We just didn't have anything to do with one another for the past fifteen or twenty years. So I was suprised to find out after he died that I was indeed to share in his estate, along with my sister and his adopted son from his second marriage (who I have never met).

What I really didn't expect was what I found out last week. When he died, his wishes were already laid out and were followed to the tee. There was no obituary, no funeral, no nothing. His remains were cremated by the funeral home and that was the end of it. Or so we thought.....

Seems his ashes are at the attorney's office along with his personal effects. And since I'm the only heir that lives here....guess who has to deal with them???

I'm kinda ashamed to admit that I had some really evil ideas at first. I won't even go into specifics. But after talking to my mom and my sister, we're gonna do the right thing. I'm trying to track down exactly where his parents are buried. I know they are in one of the local cemetaries...just not exactly where. But since my sis will be in town later this month, I agreed to find out, so we can scatter his ashes on his parents' graves.

I don't really know how I feel about it. But I guess that's consistent. I never really knew how I felt about him, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home