Wednesday, April 19, 2006

And just like that -- it's (almost) over

March 1985. I walked into our local radio station to visit a high school buddy who was working as a DJ and walked out with a part-time job. Weekend DJ on a country station. Didn’t even listen to the music at the time, and had never even thought about radio as something I’d like to do. I promised the (then) owner that I’d stick with it at least a year.

Twenty-one years later, it was surprisingly easy to walk into the boss this week and put in my notice. I suppose I should say I agonized over the decision, but frankly, I’m just burned out. I just can’t take being on call 24/7 anymore -- going to bed every night wondering if I’ll get a 2AM call because of an equipment problem or a 5AM call because the morning guy is sick. Tired of spending every weekend within an hour of the station in case something goes wrong. Tired of worrying about whether part-timers will show up or just decide they don’t want to do radio anymore and not bother to tell anyone. Tired of looking at the dark sky and wondering if I’ll have to go in for storm coverage or to fix equipment in the aftermath. I’m just tired.

It’s been a good ride. On-air in every shift. Ten years as news director. Eight years as engineer. Four years as operations manager/PD. The last eight years have easily been the most challenging, rewarding, stress-filled years of my life. Dragging the station, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. Helping build the new studios and signing off in the old ones. Moving the AM on a rainy Halloween night and watching it come back to life after only an hour and a half. Turning on the FM transmitter for the very first time. Rebuilding the complete automation system in thirteen hours after a major lightning strike. Bringing the FM to higher power and making progress in two rated markets with no personnel budget and an even smaller marketing budget. Learning about transmitters, computers, boards, automation, programming and people. Geez – the people.

I’ve met and/or worked with some fantastic people over the years. Some moved on to bigger and better things, like Dave Morris and Billy Greenwood. Others passed on to a (hopefully) better place, like Herb Brandes and Don (ask him the time and he’ll tell you how to build a watch) Harms. Some are still around the business, like Bill Grother and Jim Lawson, or still around the station, like Ken Dillon and Jeff Spalding. I’ve been privileged to know Randy Raley, Lee Wheeler, Lloyd Collins, Art Morris and Ray Rouse, among many, many others. Oh, and Ken Lewellen – a true character if there ever was one, and Larry Emery, Moundville’s most famous son. And the current air staff, including the younger ones that remind me so much of myself twenty years ago. There are so many others – like my ex-wife Laurie, who I met at the station and who still works there and remains one of my best friends. And Dianne, my significant other, with whom I hope to spend the next twenty years and many, many more.

I’ve learned a lot in the past two decades – both about broadcasting and about myself. For the most part, it was an enjoyable experience, but recently has become more of a burden than it was worth. And so it’s time to walk away.

It’s a little scary, starting over at my age. Especially since I haven’t actively looked for a job in twenty years! So, if you know of anyone who needs a slightly-overweight tech guy who loves computers and technology, and isn’t afraid to work his ass off, let me know. After all, I still have that damned mortgage payment to make!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave Morris said...

I can't believe what I'm reading!

I know how stressful it is, doing what you're doing. With all of the tremendous positives a career in radio has to offer, there are some real negatives... and they take their toll.

I've always wondered if radio ever really gets out of your system. The business has lost some of its magic, I think (or am I just getting old?) but in many places, it's still a good, provocative, entertaining, useful medium. I know your stations are.

I still have the bad dreams where my song is ending and the microphone isn't working. Or, there's the one where all you have are vinyl records, but can't find a turntable to play one.

Good luck, Bill. May the bad dreams end soon, and let me know if you ever get it out of your blood.

And KEEP BLOGGING. Please.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there's a whole lot of people ready for something new. Let's change the world.
I know you only as just some guy on the radio, but reap benefit from your experience. Best wishes, and keep on rocking.

10:00 PM  
Blogger RR said...

Wha? Say it ain't so, Bill. Yes, there is life after radio but it only leads you back to...radio. As Jack Buck said "I can't believe what I just saw." I hope you are happy, that's all that matters. You will find work in something else but don't be surprised in a few years if you ask your successor for .."a couple of hours on the weekend just to see you through." You have a beautiful significant other. I hope you all find the peace of mind you are obviously looking to find. You are one of the good ones, Bill. This business is emptying itself of "good ones". Cheers!

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home