Friday, April 07, 2006

What if the Big Bang was a big "PLOP"?

We've all seen the models of atoms in science class -- the little electrons spin around the nucleus and life is good. But it occurs to me that when nature has a pattern that works, it tends to repeat itself in scales both large and small. And that model of an atom looks an awful lot like the model of a solar system.

Atoms combine to make molecules; solar systems combine to make galaxies. Molecules combine to form the matter that we see and feel; galaxies combine to form the universe. Who's to say that what we consider the "universe" isn't the matter of some other, vastly larger life form.

Wouldn't it be ironic if humans, with all their self-indulgent worries about wars, stadium roofs and global warming, are actually just passengers on a single electron in a single atom, part of a single molecule of a pile of steaming, cosmic dog shit?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa dude, you just blew my mind!
I still want to be the best pile of dog shit I can be!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Dave Morris said...

I hope we're not the PEANUT in the dogshit.

Again, we need beers and a porch. I could talk about stuff like this all day. Although we'd get accused of smoking the wacky weed.

Which reminds me of a great Dennis Miller quote, from back when he was funny and NOT political:

"How do I know if the color blue to you, is the color blue to me?"

"Check the crayon box, asshole, I'm HIGH over here."

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home