Friday, February 24, 2006

Heretical musing

Main Entry: he·ret·i·cal
Pronunciation: h&-'re-ti-k&l
1: of, relating to, or characterized by heresy
2 : of, relating to, or characterized by departure from accepted beliefs or standards

Unlike many in radio today, I think computer automation has some very big positives. Yes, it has eliminated some announcer positions and led to vanilla-programming with little or no local content. But that's not automation's fault. It's just what people have done with it.

I voice-track almost all my shows. I'm notorious for not having a damned thing ready to say when I turn on the mic, so voice-tracking allows me multiple chances to get each voice break just the way I want it. And, I'm a rarity in this business -- I do NOT like being on the air live. It's just not something I enjoy. So for me personally, automation allows me to do a better job and enjoy what I do a little more.

But there's another aspect to automation. I took a lot of flak on some regional radio discussion boards when I chose to fully automate our weekend programming on one station. Yes, it eliminated a couple of part-time positions, including one very talented announcer who, although high maintenance, brought a fresh sound to the air. But it wasn't a cost-cutting move designed to fatten the purses of already well-off owners. It was a way to reward my full-time announcers with some long-delayed and much needed pay raises. By using the computer automation system during non-rated hours, I am able to pay the hard-working people who make the station a success a little more of a living wage. It's a hard choice to make. Sure, I'd love to have the station live 24/7 -- but that just ain't gonna happen. So, do you go live as much as possible and pay everyone the lowest possible wage? Or do you value your people, pay them as much as you possibly can within your budget, and automate when necessary to afford it? I chose to place my value in the people I have.

Automated does not have to be a synonym for bad. If you voice-track locally; if you have someone on site to plug requests into the queue; if you make every effort to keep the live local sound even during automated hours, then you can do good radio with automation. It still comes down to content.

Automation is simply a tool. It's how you use it that determines whether it's good or bad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

Hey just some guy, I really like your blog. Already I've learned lots of stuff I didn't know. Hope you don't mind me linking. Hit me back and I'll do a quick announcment post if you'd like.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Just Some Guy on the Radio said...

Thanks, tony. I check your blog out everyday, and appreciate the link!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home