Thursday, March 16, 2006

Case Study in Acute Stress Disorder

I don't know if this place is gonna explode or just die laughing. The stress of the past few days is really beginning to show.

Personally, I've had my own troubles dealing with the aftermath of the severe weather. Trouble sleeping, feelings of guilt that I had no damage while others suffered, a short temper, wondering what I could have done differently...mainly just an edgy feeling that wouldn't seem to go away. A long walk last night and a good night's sleep has done wonders. I no longer feel like I'm losing my mind (which, of course, probably means that I really am losing my mind. But that's another post.)

Now I'm starting to see the same reactions among other members of the staff. Tempers have been flaring, and you can just feel the undercurrent of stress. I think a lot of it is the frustration of wanting to get involved and actually help instead of sitting in this holding pattern. We've got literally hundreds of people who have volunteered, and dozens who need the help. But until the EMA authorities clear volunteers into the storm damaged areas, all we can do is wait. And it's really beginning to wear on everyone.

I'm just trying to keep everybody laughing so they don't kill each other!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ken Dillon said...

Gee...it's almost like we work at the same place or somethin'

12:51 PM  
Blogger RR said...

Yeah, but the beauty of it is that you guys "gave to the community". They relied on you and you did your job as braodcasters. Broad shoulders only lead to bad backs. Pat yourslef on those bad backs for making a diference, for being there when someone needed you and for doing what you do so well. It's why we chose this business. To make a difference. It is a powerful medium when used to the good of man. Give back and they will give back to you. Organize. Be charitable, get the city involved. Overcome. Be broadcasters serving your community. Make a difference. You guys are the best! I'm done now.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home